Wednesday, 24 September 2008

Let's Learn Korean!---Self-introductions

안녕!
Hi! Today, we'll learn basic self-introductions when meeting someone for the first time.

I'll start by introducing myself then.


안녕하세요? 저는Jingrong입니다. 처음 뵙겠습니다.
Annyeonghaseyo? Cheoneun Jingrong-imnida. Cheoum boepgesseumnida.
Hello. I'm Jingrong. How do you do?

"안녕하세요?" means "Are you at peace?", or simply means "hello."


저 (cheo) means I.
는 (neun) is the topic marking particle. It refers to the topic in the sentence made.
So, "저는" just means "I". I'm referring to myself.


"입니다"(im-ni-da) means "to be". In this case, it means "is".

처음 뵙겠습니다 (Cheo-um boep-ge-sseum-ni-da) literally means "I'm meeting you for the first time," but we use it to imply "How do you do" when you meet someone for the first time. It's a bit difficult to pronounce. View the video below to listen to the actual pronounciations.

Conversation
(Pretending that munyee and Jialian meet each other for the first time.)


Munyee: 안녕하세요? 저는Munyee입니다. 처음 뵙겠습니다.
Annyeonghaseyo? Cheoneun Munyee-imnida. Cheoum boepgesseumnida.
Jialian: 안녕하세요? 저는Jialian입니다. 처음 뵙겠습니다.
Annyeonghaseyo? Cheoneun Jialian-imnida. Cheoum boepgesseumnida.

Translation
Munyee: Hello. I'm Munyee. How do you do?

Jialian: Hello. I'm Jialian. How do you do?

Video
Cannot really find a video that conveys the exact thing. It's a little bit different here but they convey the same thing. Note @ time 00.14

He's speaking both korean and japanese.

Note time 00.55


Note: 만나서 반갑습니다 (Man-na-seo ban-gap-seum-ni-da) means "nice to meet you". You can use this in your greetings too.

E.g.
안녕하세요? 저는 Jingrong입니다. 처음 뵙겠습니다. 만나서 반갑습니다.
Hello. I'm Jingrong. How do you do? It's nice to meet you.

That's it for today. 감사합니다! (Gamsahamnida-thank you!) ^^

No comments: