Friday, 19 September 2008

Let's Learn Korean!---안 녕 하 세 요!

안 녕 하 세 요! (Annyeong haseyo!)

Hi. Recently, I'm very interested in learning Korean language but I'm actually learning it at a slow pace (as I'm having my A level soon). While I'm learning Korean, I hope to share the knowledge with you because Korean language is just too interesting and fascinating to learn! As you know more about Korean, you will most probably realize that it is not a difficult language to learn.

Here are some of the reasons:
1) Korean words are made up of only a few hangul alphabets and if you memorize them and their respective pronunciations (trust me, it's easy), you can OWN le! You can easily decipher the pronunciations of any unknown Korean words by looking at them even for the first time.
E.g.
ㅎ (h)+ㅏ (a) +ㄴ (n) =한 han

ㄱ (g) +ㅜ (u) +ㄱ (k) =국 guk

Thus, 한국 is pronounced as han guk which means Korea.
I'll go through the hangul alphabet system in detail next time.

2) If you are a Chinese (or also a hokkien--bonus), you will find some of the pronunciations of Korean words quite similar to the related Chinese or hokkien version. So, it actually speeds up your learning.
E.g. Mountain 산 (San)
Book 책 (Chaek)

3) It is just too nice and cute when you converse in Korean. If you watch Korean drama, you will most probably agree with me right? Haheho… However, it's not always "yo yo" here and there, depending on the politeness level.



Let's start to learn the most basic phrase but I think most of you would have heard it before already.

안 녕 하 세 요 ---Annyeong haseyo

Let's break down the words:

안 녕 하 세 요 An-nyeong-ha-se-yo
안녕 (An-nyeong) means peace. The second half, 하세요 (ha-se-yo) generally means "to do".

Directly translating is like "Are you at peace?" but actually it just means "hello" or "How are you?". You can use it in the morning, afternoon and at night! Convenient right? Haheho…


Sample conversation:
Jingrong: 안 녕 하 세 요! (Hello!)
Munyee: 안 녕 하 세 요. (Hello.)

haheho... random... =P
Hope you guys like this and start to appreciate korean!!!

감사합니다!(Kamsahamnida!) ^^

4 comments:

naive.ingress said...

I'm an Indian. Please teach me Korean through English. :)

naive.ingress said...

I'm an Indian. Please teach me Korean through English. :)

Laura said...

감 사 합 니 다 !

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.